The Costume and Textile Association of New Zealand was established in 2002 (as the New Zealand Costume & Textile Section of the Auckland Museum Institute) to meet the need for a national organisation to provide a forum for the study, research and conservation of dress and textiles.
Its aims and objectives are:
- to promote interest in all aspects of historical and contemporary dress and textiles
- to foster the study of, and research into, New Zealand and international dress and textiles
- to encourage the conservation of dress and textiles in New Zealand
- to foster the spirit of mutual helpfulness among the Association’s members
- to hold an annual symposium to present papers representing current research on all aspects of dress and textiles
The Association’s members include museum, gallery and fashion professionals, craft practitioners, historians, writers, and others who share a stronger than average interest in all aspects of dress and textiles.